Name: _______________________________________________________ Period: __________
Analyzing Scientific Experiments
In the experiment illustrated below, a botanist wanted to determine the effects of different colored light on plant growth. To do this, he set up two experiments. He grew one plant under blue light and one under red light and gave each plant the amount of water shown.
Study the illustrations and answer the questions that follow:
1. At the end of the experiment, Plant 1 had grown 10 cm and Plant 2 had grown 5 cm. The botanist concluded that plants grow better under red light. Comment on this conclusion.
2. How would you revise the experiment to make it scientifically valid? Use the spaces below to show the values of the variables in your redesigned experiment.
Plant 1 Plant 2 Plant 3
Light ____________________ ____________________ _________________
Temperature ____________________ ____________________ _________________
Water ____________________ ____________________ _________________
Time ____________________ ____________________ _________________
Plant ____________________ ____________________ _________________
3. What is the control group in this experiment? ___________________________________
4. What are the experimental groups in this experiment? ____________________________
5. What is the manipulated variable in this experiment? _____________________________
6. What is the responding variable in this experiment? ______________________________
7. What are the constants in this experiment? _____________________________________