Color (or trace) and label figure 3.1: Label only:
1. phospholipids 6. channel protein
1a. phosphate-yellow 7. enzyme
1b. fatty acid-blue 8. carrier protein
2. cholesterol- green 9. marker protein
3a. integral (embedded) protein-purple 10. receptor protein
3b. peripheral (outside) protein-orange
1. The primary membrane components are _________________and ________________.
2. Phospholipids contain polar ___________________ and nonpolar ________________.
3. Proteins embedded in the cell membrane are primarily ___________ (polar, nonpolar).
4. Proteins located on the outside of the cell membrane are primarily ________________
5. The outside of the membrane is usually ________________(positive (+), negative (-)).
6. What membrane components (phospholipids, cholesterol, proteins, or carbohydrates) serve the following functions:
a. stabilize the membrane: __________________________________________________
b. transport water soluble (polar) substances: ___________________________________
c. allow movement of nonpolar substances across membrane: ______________________
d. act as receptors: ________________________________________________________
e. aid in cell recognition: ___________________________________________________
7. The diagram at the right represents a phospholipids molecule.
phospholipids molecule. If the characteristic is true of the head,
place an H in the blank provided. If it is true of the tail, place a T
in the blank.
_______hydrophobic ______ hydrophilic
_______consists of fatty acids ______consists of phosphate