Chapter 8 and 9 Review
1. What is ATP?
2. We compared ATP to a charged up battery. Explain why?
3. What is the difference between ADP and ATP?
4. Where is most of the energy in an ATP molecule stored?
5. What is a heterotroph? an autotroph?
6. Define photosynthesis.
7. What is the general chemical equation for photosynthesis?
8. What are the two different reactions that make up photosynthesis?
9. What is another name for the light independent reaction?
10. What happens to water during the light dependent reaction?
11. Where does the plant get the water?
12. What happens to the oxygen produced during the light dependent reaction?
13. What happens to the hydrogen produced during the light dependent reaction?
14. What molecule is used as a hydrogen (electron) carrier during photosynthesis?
15. Where in the chloroplast does the light dependent reaction occur?
16. What pigment traps sunlight?
17. Why is chlorophyll green? (which colors of light are reflected and which colors of light are absorbed?)
18. What molecule is used to store the energy absorbed from the sunlight?
19. Where in the chloroplast does the light independent reaction occur?
20. What are the reactants of the Calvin cycle? Where does the plant get carbon dioxide?
21. What are the products of the Calvin cycle?
22. What happens to the ADP and NADP+ produced during the light independent reaction?
23. What happens when bonds are broken? When bonds are made?
24. Define cellular respiration
25. What is the general chemical equation for cellular respiration?
26. What is the first step of cellualr respiration called?
27. Where in the cell does glycolysis occur?
28. Is this process aerobic or anaerobic?
29. What happens during glycolysis?
30.What is the second step of cellular respiration called?
31. Where in the cell does the Kreb's cycle occur?
32. What are the reactants of the Krebís cycle?
33. What are the products of the Krebís cycle?
34. What happens to the carbon dioxide produced during the Kreb's cycle?
35. What molecules are used as hydrogen (electron) carriers during cellular respiration?
36. What happens to the FADH2 and NADH after the Kreb's cycle?
37. What happens during the electron transport chain of cellular respiration?
38. What is the oxygen used for during the E.T.C.?
39. What happens to the water made during the E.T.C.?
40. Which product of cellular respiration is the most important?
41. Why is ATP so important?
42. What do we use ATP for?
43. How much energy is made from the complete breakdown of one glucose molecule during cellular respiration?
44. Is cellular respiration aerobic or anaerobic?
45. What happens if there is not enough oxygen in the cell for cellular respiration?
46. Why do cell go through fermentation?
47. What are the two types of fermentation?
48. Which organisms carry out alcoholic fermentation?
49. Which organisms (or type of cell) carry out lactic acid fermentation?
50. If you build up lactic acid, what is the result?
Visit the following sites:
Back to help