Chapter 16/17 Review
1. What is Charles Darwin know for? What is the name of the book that he wrote?
2. What were three of Darwin's observations that he made while on the H.M.S. Beagle that lead him to developing his theory?
3. What were the beliefs about the history of the Earth during Darwin's time.
4. What did James Hutton and Charles Lyell contribute to Darwin's research?
5. What did Jean-Baptiste Lamarck contribute to Darwin's research?
6. What did Thomas Malthus contribute to Darwin's research?
7. Who was Alfred Wallace?
8. What is artificial selection?
9. What is natural selection?
10. Give an example of natural selection.
11. What is another name for natural selection?
12. Why are variations so important for natural selection to occur?
13. What are the five major points of natural selection?
14. What is the source of most variations within a species?
15. What is an adaptation?
16. Give two examples of an adaptation.
17. Name six pieces of evidence that support evolution?
18. What is a fossil?
19. What are homologous structures? Give an example.
20. What are analogous structures? Give an example.
21. What are vestigial structures? Give an example.
22. Explain how similar embryos support evolution.
23. Explain how similar DNA supports evolution.
24. What is a population?
25. What is a gene pool?
26. Define evolution in terms of allelic frequency.
27. What is allelic frequency?
28.If the allelic frequency is changing, what is occurring?
29. What are the two sources of genetic variation?
30. What are the three things that can cause mutations to the DNA?
31. What are three ways that genes are shuffled during the formation of gametes?
32. Name three ways that natural selection can affect the distribution of phenotypes.
33. Give an example of directional selection.
34. Give an example of stabilizing selection.
35. Give an example of disruptive selection.
36. What is genetic drift?
37. Genetic drift only occur in large or small populations?
38. What does the Hardy-Weinberg principle state?
39. What is genetic equilibrium?
40. What are the five conditions needed to maintain genetic equilibrium?
41. What happens if genetic equilibrium is NOT maintained?
42. What is speciation?
43. How does speciation occur?
44. What is reproductive isolation?
45. Name three ways that reproductive isolation can occur.
46. Name and describe the six steps to speciation.
Back to help